In this practice we take complaints/concerns very seriously indeed and try to ensure that all patients are pleased with their experience of our service. When patients complain, they are dealt with courteously and promptly so that the matter is resolved as quickly as possible. This procedure is based on these objectives.
Our aim is to react to complaints in the way in which we would all want a complaint about a service to be handled. We learn from mistakes that we make and we respond to patients concerns in a caring and sensitive way.
- The person responsible within the practice for dealing with any complaints about the service which we provide is: Laura Ring – Practice Manager.
- If a patient complains on the telephone or at the reception desk, we will listen to his or her complaint and offer to refer him or her to Laura Ring immediately.
- If Laura Ring is not available at that specific time, then the patient will be told when she or he will be able to talk to the dentist and arrangements will be made for this to happen. A member of staff will take brief details of the complaint and pass them on. If we cannot arrange this within a reasonable period or if the patient does not wish to wait to discuss the matter, arrangements will be made for someone else to deal with it.
- If the patient complains in writing the letter will be passed on immediately to: Laura Ring
- If a complaint is about any aspect of clinical care or associated charges it will be referred to the dentist.
- We will acknowledge the patients complaint in writing and enclose a copy of this code of practice as soon as possible but normally within three working days. We will seek to investigate the complaint within ten working days of the complaint being received to give an explanation of the circumstances which led to the complaint.
- We will confirm the decision about the complaint in writing to the patient immediately after completing out investigation.
- If complaining on the behalf of someone else, please note we keep strictly to the rules of confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we must know that you have permission to do so. A not signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of physical or mental illness) of providing this.
- Comprehensive records are kept of any complaint received.
- If patients are not satisfied with the result of our procedure then they can approach the Dental Complaints Service (private), Stephenson House, 2 Cherry Orchard Road, Croydon, CR0 6BA (TEL: 02082530800) or the GDC.
Patients who have complained will not be discriminated against in the future.